TIDUES5A August   2019  – September 2019

1.   Revision History

Correlation Based Technique for Differential TOF Estimation

The correlation based TOF estimation involves the following steps:

1. A pulse train is transmitted from transducer 1 in Figure 2.
  2. At a certain pre-determined time, the ADC is started to capture the data at the receive transducer. Let the received data be indicated as Equation 5.
  3. Equation 5. r2 = r21 , r22 , r23 , . . . , r2 N

where

• TIDM-02005 tidm-02005-equation-01-tidues5.gif
    • fs = sampling rate of the ADC
    • i = index of the sample
  4. Similarly, transmit the pulse train from transducer 2 and receive the signal at the transducer. Let the sampled signal at transducer 1 be given by Equation 6.
  5. Equation 6. r1 = r11 , r12 , r13 , . . . , r1 N
  6. Based on r1 and r2, a correlation value is calculated by Equation 7.
  7. Equation 7. corr ( k ) = i =1 N r1 i = k r2 k

where

• k = {–m, –(m–1), ..., (m–1), m}
    • TIDM-02005 tidm-02005-equation-02-tidues5.gif for i < 1 and i > N
  8. The maximum of the correlation is calculated by Equation 8.
  9. Equation 8. k ^ = max k corr ( k )
  10. Let Z–1 = corr(k̂–1), Z0 = corr(k̂), and Z1 = corr(k̂+1) be the values of correlation at and around the maximum.
  11. The real maximum of the correlation is now given by the interpolation in Equation 9.
  12. Equation 9. TIDM-02005 tidm-02005-equation-03-tidues5.gif
  13. The net different time of flight is now given by Equation 10.
  14. Equation 10. T12 corr = k ^ m + δ
  15. In USS Software Library implementations, m is typically chosen to be +1, implying that only 3 correlations must be computed most of the time.

This correlation-based TOF calculation has been reported in the literature previously as given in reference [12] and reference [13]. The details of the equations for δ in Equation 10 can be found in reference [14] and provided in Section 2.4.2.1 for completeness. Figure 3 shows a block diagram of the receiver for the correlation.

Figure 3. Block Diagram for Correlation-Based Differential TOF EstimatorTIDM-02005 block-diagram-for-correlation-based-differential-tof-estimator.gif
Figure 4. Interpolation Step in the ADC-Based Correlation Technique for Differential TOF EstimationTIDM-02005 interpolation-step-in-the-adc-based-correlation-technique.png

Efficient interpolation techniques have been given in reference [4]. As previously mentioned, for efficiency of implementation, the correlation is computed over few points leading to a low-power implementation.

To ensure that Z0 is the maximum point, the correlation peak runs through a search algorithm sequentially computing the three adjacent correlation terms (Z–1, Z0, and Z+1) until it finds the maximum Z0 that is larger than Z–1 and Z+1 and the earlier correlation terms. Typically, only an additional 1 or 2 adjacent correlation points are computed in addition to the 3 correlation points.